Here is a method for jacking and supporting a C6 using ONLY the "preferred" jacking locations. All four wheels off the ground. Lots of room under the car to work (oil changes, etc.) Very secure.
All that's needed are two rolling hydraulic floor jacks, four jack stands, two cross beam adapters and a few planks.
In the photos below, the rolling hydraulic jack used at the front of the car is an AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ low-profile, long-reach jack. It fits just right, reaches the larger front cross member of the car and still sticks out far enough to allow full pumping of lever. Other hydraulic floor jacks may work here, you'll have to experiment.
Two low-profile, long-reach jacks favored by forum members are the AC DK13HLQ and the Omega 29023 - detailed comparison here:
Jack stands used in the photos below are Blackhawk Automotive forklift stands, details below in post #4.
The cross beam adapters
- you'll need two. Only $29.99 each from NorthernTool.com. As shown in photos, the adapter used at the rear of the car can be left stock. The one used at the front of the car must be altered slightly.... just pull off the side extensions and add rubber pads on top of the main center piece at each end.
Note: in order to use the above described cross beam adapter in an AC brand jack, you will need to grind the 1.15" main pin of the adapter down a bit since the hole in AC jacks is only 1.00" (unlike most American jacks which have a 1.130" hole).
1. -Get front wheels 2" - 3" above the ground by driving up on some planks
2. -Place jack with "altered" cross beam adapter under front main cross member of car (underneath the PREFERRED jacking locations)... make sure the rubber pads on the adapter touch only the preferred jacking locations... nothing will touch center of cross member
3. - Place two jack stands under the cross beam adapter, directly under the preferred jacking locations, lower weight of car onto stands, leave jack in place for added safety
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for rear of car, except use "stock" cross beam adapter
Car is now off the ground and fully supported by ONLY the "preferred" jacking locations.
|This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 646x1733.|
|This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 641x1449.|
|This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 648x1753.|